Insurance for Development
Online training – Spanish: Register now!
6 June - 8 July 2022
About the program
Most insurers and distribution channels in traditionally underserved markets still struggle to offer insurance products that are viable to them and valuable to consumers. Capacity gaps among insurance company staff are one of key barriers for market development. The ILO's Impact Insurance Program seeks to develop a sustainable flow of high-quality capacity-building programs for insurers, distribution channels and other market players, as part of its mission to develop inclusive insurance markets. Among these initiatives, the online course "Insurance for Development" is offered in to close the capacity gaps of insurance professionals by turning them into business models and strategies for providing insurance solutions to underserved markets. The training is supported by the Munich Re Foundation, a2ii and the InsuResilience Investment Fund.
More information (Spanish)
21 April 2022
What are you going to learn?
The course has the following specific objectives:
- Develop criteria to pre-select possible distribution channels to access the low-income market and practice the analysis of available options.
- Identify the key factors influencing the demand for insurance services and analyze their implication for market research and marketing strategy.
- Reveal features that make insurance products relevant and explore the product design process.
- Apply a framework to analyze claims processes, incorporating perspectives of both business viability and customer value.
- Formulate strategies on how to make impact insurance viable and articulate the business case to provide insurance responsibly.
The e-learning course will be implemented over a period of approximately five weeks and is structured in five modules with activities and assignments.
An equivalent of one learning day is envisaged in each calendar week as a combination of self-paced learning with activities and a webinar with a speaker. Self-study modules can be taken flexibly, while the webinar will be scheduled as a presentation and live discussion (webinar recording will be available).
- Opening Session: Insurance with impact: Overview and relevance for economic development.
- Module 1: Access to new markets through alternative distribution channels
- Module 2: Market research: Translating customer information into better results
- Module 3: Product development
- Module 4: Claims management - the Moment of truth
- Module 5: Responsible insurance and business viability
The structure of the course
Each of the five learning modules has a fixed structure and includes the following components:
- Individual self-learning as well as group activities where appropriate
- Live webinar, with the ILO group and trainer and/or associated guest speakers from the ILO's Impact Insurance Programme
- Discussions in forums, self-managed or facilitated by tutors
- Rapid test (evaluation)
At the end of the course, participants receive a certificate of participation.
Composition of course content
- A live webinar each week deals with one of the module's technical topics or a presentation from a development partner or practitioner. All live webinars will be recorded and shared with students in case they are unable to join when performing live
- A list of essential readings for the module, supporting module and webinar content
- Activities and case studies for individual or group work
Why should you sign up?
- This is your time to think about your company's strategy and operations in underserved markets and exchange ideas with peers facing similar challenges.
- The course provides real tools and knowledge (including learnings technological innovations) and builds upon the knowledge and experience already acquired by the industry.
- The course offers case studies and examples of the world's leading impactful insurance providers