Insurance for Development
Online training Spanish: Register now!
17 July - 18 August 2023
About the program
A majority of insurers and distributors in traditionally underserved markets still struggle to offer insurance products that are viable for them and valuable for consumers. Capacity gaps among insurers’ staff are one of the factors inhibiting this progress.
The Impact Insurance Facility of the ILO seeks to develop a sustainable flow of high-quality capacity building programmes to insurers, distributors and other market players, as part of its mission to develop inclusive insurance markets. Among these initiatives, an online course “Insurance for Development” is offered in an attempt to bridge the capacity gaps of insurance professionals on business models and strategies of how to provide insurance solutions to the underserved markets.
More information, registration and fees
Scholarships are available.
What will I learn?
The course has five specific objectives:
- Possess criteria for pre-selecting possible distribution channels to access the low-income market and practice analyzing the available options
- Identify key factors influencing demand for insurance services and analyze its implication for market research and marketing strategy
- Reveal features that make insurance products relevant and explore the design and pricing process
- Apply a framework for analyzing claims processes, incorporating perspectives of both business viability and client value
- Formulate strategies of how to make impact insurance viable and articulate the business case for providing insurance responsibly
The e-learning course will be implemented over a period of approximately 5 weeks and is structured around 5 content modules with activities and assignments.
An equivalent of 1 day of learning is foreseen in each calendar week as a combination of self-paced learning with activities and a webinar with a speaker. Self-learning modules can be taken flexibly, while the webinar will be scheduled as a live presentation and discussion (the webinar’s recording will be available).
- Week 1: Opening session: Impact insurance: overview and relevance to development. Module 1: Accessing new markets through alternative distribution channels
- Week 2 Module 2: Market research: Translating customer insights into improved results
- Week 3 Module 3: Product development
- Week 4 Module 4: Claims management: The moment of truth
- Week 5 Module 5: Responsible insurance and business viability
Each of the five learning modules of the course have a fixed structure and includes the following components:
- Individual self-learning with activities, as well as group activities when applicable
- Live Webinar, with the group and ILO trainer and/or invited speakers partners of the Impact Insurance Facility of the ILO
- Forum discussions, self facilitated or facilitated by the tutors
- Express test (assessment)
Upon completion of the course, participants receive a certificate of attendance.
Course content composition
- A Live Webinar each week provides you with the content on one of the technical subjects of the module or a presentation from development partner or practitioner. All live webinars will be recorded and shared with the students in case when they cannot join it when delivered in live
- A list of Essential Readings for the module, supporting the content of the module and the webinar.
- Activities and Case studies for an individual work or group work
Why should I join?
- This is your time to think through your company’s strategy and operations in underserved markets, exchange ideas with the peers confronted with similar challenges
- The course is practical in nature, providing real tools and insights (including – on technological innovations) and drawing out the wisdom and experience already gained by the industry
- Case-studies and examples from the world’s leading impact insurance providers