Inclusive Insurance Business Models for Africa
8th Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Conference on Inclusive Insurance
24 - 26 April 2023, Nairobi, Kenya
About the conference
This regional conference is a combination of high-quality training and plenary sessions aimed at sharing insights on inclusive insurance business models that are making access to low-income market segments in Africa possible.
The organisation and implementation of this conference is based on the strong belief of the power of learning and sharing; the conference therefore brings international, regional and local professionals who will exchange experiences and discuss a number of key themes and topics on inclusive insurance business. They include representatives from insurance and reinsurance companies, brokers, distribution channels, international organisations, NGOs, development-aid agencies, policymakers, regulators and supervisors in Africa. The sub themes for this conference are:
- The Landscape of Inclusive Insurance in Kenya Insights from Kenya inclusive insurance landscape up-to-date portrait of the state of the inclusive insurance market in Kenya covering various themes including innovation, products, regulation and impact.
- Digital insurance: Exploratory insights and lessons from trends and business models on inclusive digital insurance solutions; taking stock of what has worked and what has not worked in digital inclusive insurance solutions and business models.
- MSME Insurance: Emerging as a key growth area for inclusivity of insurance in a number of countries; an exploration of emerging and promising models for extending insurance to micro, small and medium sized enterprises.
- Health insurance: Exploration on client value and viability dimensions of national health insurance schemes in Africa.
- Agriculture insurance: Sharing experiences and lessons learned from various inclusive agricultural insurance schemes; taking stock of emerging and promising models.
- Developing and regulating inclusive insurance markets: Sharing lessons and experiences on strategies employed to catalyse the development of insurance sectors for inclusivity and innovation. This includes lessons from insurance regulators on how to balance market development and supervisory roles.
Preliminary draft agenda
Pre conference events - April 24
09:00 – 12:30: Topline and bottomline strategies for inclusive insurance
Inclusive insurance remains a blue ocean for insurance companies in many developing financial markets. Over the years, there has been steady growth recorded in some markets. Retreat presents insights on strategies and business models from successful inclusive insurance providers. This interactive work retreat is designed for CEOs or senior executives in insurance companies who interested increasing their investments and footprint in inclusive insurance business. The sessions aim to demonstrate how inclusive insurance providers can make inclusive insurance viable and profitable while providing superior client value for their customers. Hosted by FinProbity Solutions and AB Consultants, the retreat is a pre-conference event to the 8th Eastern and Southern Africa Conference on inclusive insurance. The retreat features international and regional inclusive insurance leaders. The retreat will address the following:
- What business strategies can be employed by market players to achieve better results in inclusive insurance business?
- What organizational structure is ideal for pushing inclusive insurance in a company? • What sort of institutional culture and work-style is ideal?
- How can shareholders support senior management in pushing inclusive insurance in insurance companies?
This retreat brings together international, regional and national CEOs to share strategies that can be used to make inclusive insurance work in Africa.
Conference agenda - April 24
15:30 - 16:30: Session 1: The landscape of inclusive insurance in Southern and Eastern Africa
Conference agenda - April 25
9:00 - 10:30: Session 2: How to enable market development
11:00 – 12:30: Session 3: Climate risk and agricultural insurance
14:00 – 15:30: Session 4: Health insurance
Ensuring health insurance coverage for all members of society is a viable way to achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC). The rise of (mobile technology) offers the prospect to transform health insurance by increasing coverage, building transparency, and reducing costs. The session will feature examples how mobile technology and digital solutions are increasing health insurance enrolment and improving access to quality healthcare. Panellists will also discuss current challenges, and the opportunities for scaling digital health tools to improve financing and delivery of care.